Trusted Advice. Assertive Advocacy.

How do I fight employment discrimination in California?

On Behalf of | Jun 20, 2018 | Employment Discrimination, Firm News |

Employment discrimination remains a serious issue in California. Fortunately, the state government provides help to people who have suffered discrimination in their careers.

A lawyer may be helpful from the very beginning, as victims of employment discrimination may choose to sue the parties responsible.

Who can file an employment discrimination complaint in California?

Anyone who has a job, internship, training program or contract with a California employer can file a complaint with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). Applicants to these jobs and other programs who believe they were kept out by discriminatory practices may also file a complaint.

How long can a person take to file a complaint?

There is, in general, a year after an act of discrimination or its discovery to file a complaint about it. If a person feels the need to bring a complaint straight to civil court, she or he can request a notice for the “right to sue” immediately.

How can a person file a complaint?

There are many ways to file a complaint. Filers can visit the California Civil Rights System (CCRS) online to create an account and then file the complaint with DFEH. The department also maintains a 1-800 phone number and five offices around the state to receive complaints.

What happens next?

DFEH must gather and analyze evidence related to every complaint, include reviewing records and interviewing parties involved on both sides of a conflict. If a violation is found within one year, DFEH will take other action against the employer. Since DFEH cannot represent complainants, legal representation may be recommended for further steps.